Teenagers accused of planning terror attack in Australia

US_Canada
Typography

Two teenagers will be charged with planning to carry out a terror attack in Sydney, according to police.

Two teenagers will be charged with planning to carry out a terror attack in Sydney, according to police.

The man and woman, both 19, are accused of "conspiracy to do an act, or acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act or acts", the Australian Federal Police said.

Local media reported the pair are married.

Police said the charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

The teenagers have been in custody since they were arrested early last year. At the time, the man was charged with collecting documents likely to facilitate terror acts, while the woman was charged with recklessly possessing documents and something else connected to an attack.

The new charges follow an extensive investigation by counter-terrorism police in New South Wales (NSW).

The pair will appear in the NSW Central Local Court on Wednesday.